so ever since we've been married & living in our apartment, i have made z e r o meals. i feel bad about it, but in my defense, austin loves to cook. the only night i attempted dinner was when shayla & i told the boys we would make dinner while they were fishing. we successfully put corn in boiling water, & then the boys ended up cooking us chicken & making a salad...so i dont exactly count that as making dinner. anyways, last night i decided to be adventurous & try making a recipe for little lemon souffles i saw on pinterest. so austin & i headed to the store to buy the supplies, & invited nick & shayla over to try the creation.
i was pretty skeptical in the beginning. i mean, i have never made a souffle of any sort before so i didn't exactly know what i was getting myself into. the recipe is easy enough, it just takes a little bit of time to go through all of the steps. the only problem i had was separating the yolks & egg whites.
i was incredibly nervous for them to finish. i kept checking on them in the oven to see if they were rising & turning golden. i couldn't wait to see if they turned out & to my surprise they did! they looked great & they tasted sooo good. i loved it. i probably could have left them in the oven for a little longer, but i think for my first attempt at a souffle, they turned out pretty well.
what you'll need:
8 large lemons
3 (separated) eggs
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 T flour
what you'll do:
1. preheat your oven to 350 degrees
2. slice the bottom of your lemons thinly, so they can stand flat. slice the top off about 1/3 of the way down.
3. hold the lemon over a strainer & pull out all of the pulp & squeeze out the juice. repeat with remaining lemons & save the juice. put the lemons on a baking sheet.
4. combine egg yolks, 1/4 C sugar, 1/4 of saved lemon juice & flour in a mixer with the whisk attachment. beat on medium about 3 minutes. place mixing bowl in a pan of simmering water & whisk until very thick, about 8 minutes. remove from water & return to mixer & beat on medium until cool, set aside in another bowl.
5. combine egg whites & remaining 1/4 C sugar in *clean* mixer. then place bowl over pan of simmering water & stir until sugar has dissolved & is warm. remove from water & return to mixer; beat on low until frothy, gradually increasing speed until the meringue becomes shiny.
6. whisk 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk mixture & then gently fold the remaining meringue into the mixture.
7. poor mixture into the lemon shells just below the rim. put baking sheet into the oven & bake until meringue rises about 1in. above the rim & tops are golden brown (12-15 minutes). sprinkle powdered sugar on top & serve!